Anson Wainwright - You last fought back in April when you stopped Shawn Cox
in two rounds. Can you tell us about that fight?
Lebedev - It's a good fight. I want to have four fights in a year. I must be an
active champion. I am ready to fight every three
months. We make plan
to have a fight in France in July vs. [Jean Marc] Mormeck but the WBA ordered ours vs.
- You fight Guillermo Jones on 17 December in Moscow for the full, “regular”
WBA cruiserweight title. What can you tell us about this fight and what do you
think of Jones as a fighter?
- He is a great fighter but he has problems [making] weight. I saw his photo
for the event; he looks like people who live in McDonalds (laughs).
AW - You have fought Roy Jones Jnr. and James Toney, two legends of the game.
Can you tell us what it was like to share a ring with them and how it has
helped improve you as a fighter?
DL - Right now, I am the fighter
who beat Roy Jones Jnr. and James Toney. I am very happy; it’s good for all, two legends. The Roy fight is better.
- Could you tell us about your team? Also where do you regularly train for your
- My manager and promoter is Vlad Hrunov. We worked with my trainer, Kostya
Tszyu, and physical coach Andrey Kozlov. Our gym is in Chekov, Russia.
- Your last few fights, you’ve worked with Kostya Tzsyu. Of course, he was a
great champion. Can you tell us a little about what it is like training with
- Kostya is a great champion; he is a very strong coach. We train hard; I am
happy with him. He has a lot of experience in boxing.
AW - Could you tell us about your younger days? Did you have the hard
upbringing many boxers do? How did you first get into boxing?
- My papa brought me into boxing. He told me, “You must be champion of the
AW - Could you tell us about your amateur career? Did you fight for Russia
and what tournaments did you win? What was your amateur record?
- I stayed for a long time on the Russian amateur team. My best win was the
European Junior Championship in England in 1997. [I had] 200 fights, 189 wins.
- Who do you think is the best cruiserweight in the world?
– Me! (laughs)
AW - You didn't fight for nearly four years from 2004-2008. Why were you away
from so long? What happened in your time away from boxing?
DL - I tried to work because
I have family. [Alexander] Povetkin brought me back to boxing; he gave me the
cell number of Vlad Hrunov.
AW - You have several highlight reel KOs
in your career including those over Enzo Maccarinelli and Roy Jones Jnr.?
Which is your favorite?
DL – They’re all good fights
for me but I have no favourite in the ring.
AW - When you’re not boxing, what do you
like to do with your spare time? What are your hobbies and interests?
DL - I like spend time with
my family; I have 3
AW - Do you have a message for your
- Thank you very, very much for your interest. Welcome to my next fight in
Moscow on December 17.