Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has signed with highly influential manager Al Haymon.
The signing could well land the Mexican favorite in court as his existing promoter another highly influential fight figure, Bob Arum, believes Chavez Jr still has one fight left on his contract with him.
Arum’s Top Rank filed a lawsuit suit against Chavez Jr last month in U.S. District Court in Nevada. Top Rank alleged in the suit that Chavez Jr owes Top Rank one more fight.
In Chavez’s full statement on Yahoo Sports he said:
“I want to give all my fans an update on my boxing future. I had a great meeting on Friday with my team: My lawyer Howard Weitzman, my manager Al Haymon and Billy Keane. They have begun the process of setting up my next fight, which will occur in early 2015.
“We are looking at a number of top opponents because I only want to fight the best moving forward. The details of my next fight will be finalized in the very near future. So stay tuned.
“I want to thank all my fans for their support and I can’t wait to get back to fighting. You’ll be seeing a lot of me in the ring in 2015.”
Responding to Chavez Jr’s statement Arum told Yahoo Sports: "We want the court to declare that we have one more fight with [Chavez).In other words, we’re in court as it is now. Now we’re going to bring action against Haymon and so forth for interfering with our contract."
You want more news? The #1 resource for Daily Boxing News is Doghouse Boxing... Tons more fresh new updates have hit our Boxing news wire on our home page (DoghouseBoxing.com) - Also never miss a punch, check with our full archives for yesterday's content at: Archive / News Wire