By Mark G. Butcher in Las Vegas: WBA junior welterweight champion Jessie Vargas is closing in on a dream showdown with Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao in April 2015, according to the fighter. The bout could take place in the unbeaten Vargas’ hometown of Las Vegas.
“It’s a high possibility,” said the charismatic Vargas, 26-0 (9 KOs), at the Bradley-Chaves weigh-in on Friday afternoon. “We’re just waiting to see what my promoter and manager are working out right now and we hope to get that opportunity.
“We’ll be ready. My trainer Roy Jones is already working on the gameplan and, when that fight is confirmed, we’ll start working on it. That would be great in my hometown.“
Both boxers are promoted by Top Rank so it’s an easy fight to make in theory, with that elusive Pacquiao-Mayweather showdown no closer to realisation.
Vargas showed his mettle against former WBC lightweight champion Antonio DeMarco in Macao last month, winning a competitive but clear unanimous decision at the Cotai Arena.
“He came to fight,” said the 25-year-old Las Vegan. “You saw he was in shape and he had focus after a great training camp in the Philippines. I knew it was going to be the best DeMarco that night. I think that’s what you saw.
“He took a lot of punishment, but he was able to withstand it and was hungry to get a victory for his sister [recently diagnosed with cancer]. God bless her, I hope she recovers. Antonio DeMarco is a warrior and we all know it. I was just better prepared that night.”
You want more news? The #1 resource for Daily Boxing News is Doghouse Boxing... Tons more fresh new updates have hit our Boxing news wire on our home page (DoghouseBoxing.com) - Also never miss a punch, check with our full archives for yesterday's content at: Archive / News Wire