Caputo Smith Wins by Split Decision over Ferrante at Harrah’s - Ringside Boxing Report
---Doghouse Boxing
Doghouse Boxing's Homepage Visit The Dog Pound - Message Board Doghouse Boxing Interviews icheehuahua's Boxing News Wire Archives Contact and Advertise on Doghouse Boxing Information page
Caputo Smith Wins by Split Decision over Ferrante at Harrah’s - Ringside Boxing Report
By Ken Hissner at ringside for Doghouse Boxing (Feb 1, 2014)

Anthony “The Bull” Caputo Smith
Anthony “The Bull” Caputo Smith
Joey Eye Promotions and XFE Promotions put on one heck of a show with a main event that had the fans cheering over the entire 10 rounds. Anthony “The Bull” Caputo Smith’s new trainer Doug Pettiford did wonders with him. Smith was the PA light heavyweight champ moving up for the first time to cruiser. It was Tony “Boom Boom” Ferrante’s first fight in a year since winning the IBO International title. Read on further, but let me start by telling you now that a rematch should already be in the making.

In the Main event North Philly’s Ferrante, 12-5 (7), and Caputo Smith, 15-2 (10), of Kennett Square, PA, battled from bell to bell for the PA cruiserweight title. In the end Caputo Smith took the title by a split decision. Lynne Carter had it 95-94 Ferrante while judges Dave Braslow and Dewey LaRosa had it 95-94 Caputo Smith. Referee was Steve “SS” Smoger. DHB had it 95-94 Caputo Smith.

Through the first 3 rounds there was little to choose between the two as Ferrante took the first and Smith the next 2 rounds by smothering Ferrante. In the 4th Ferrante used his jab as Smith rushed him. The fans from both camps were cheering their fighters on before a packed house.

Smith came back in the 5th round landing left hooks to the body and head of Ferrante. In the 6th Smith missed with a left hook and Ferrante countered with a chopping right to drop Smith. He got to his feet as the bell sounded. In the 7th Smith came storming back to even the score.

In the 8th Ferrante came out firing hurting Smith who came back to force Ferrante to the ropes. In the 9th Smith came back to even the score. In the 10th and final round both fighters left nothing in the ring as the fans were screaming right up to the bell with Smith gaining the edge. “I thought I was well ahead with all the jabs I landed,” said Ferrante. It cost him in the 10th round when he didn’t go all out like Smith did.

PA Lightweight champion Naim ”The Dream” Nelson, 11-1 (1), of Upper Darby, PA, won by split decision over Christian Steele, 4-8-2 (1), of W. Philly over 8 rounds.

This fight was nip n tuck with Nelson’s body work giving him the edge. Press row had it split with DHB having Nelson ahead 77-75.

As did judges Braslow and Benoist by scores of 78-74 and 79-73 with LaRosa calling it 77-75 for Steele. Steele has shown a lot of improvement since James Shedrick has taken over. Shawn Clark was the referee.

Southpaw’s Tevin “American Idol” Farmer, 15-4 (3), of Philly, and Noel Echevarria, 11-2 (6), of Winston-Salem, NC, put on a show over 8 rounds. Farmer took the decision by scores of 78-74 by judges Carter and LaRosa with Braswell having it 79-73. DHB had it 78-74 all in favor of Farmer who won his 8th straight. Trainer’s Raul “Chino” Rivas and Rashiem Jefferson have done a remarkable job as Farmer has improved with each fight since they took over. Mark Cipparone’s Club 1957 has a winner in Farmer. “I thought I won every round though a couple rounds were close,” said Farmer. Smoger was the referee and let the boxers fight.

The first 2 rounds were close and had the fans cheering wildly. In the 3rd Echevarria was having his way when Farmer rocked him and had him on the defense at the bell. Farmer continued to dazzle Echevarria countering him in the next 2 rounds knocking his mouthpiece out in the 5th.

In the 7th both fighters were teeing off on each other to the delight of the crowd. In the 8th and final round Echevarria knowing he was behind came out looking to stop Farmer but was met with an arsenal of punching by Farmer as the fans were cheering him on.

Jarrel ”Big Baby” Miller, 7-1 (7), of Brooklyn, NY, stopped southpaw Jon Hill, 6-4 (5), of NC, in 2:38 of the 3rd round when referee Clark came to the rescue of Hill. Miller had Hill down earlier in the round. Miller caught hell in between rounds by his trainer and it paid off.

Jovan Sosa, 2-0 (0), of Brooklyn, NY, defeated Anthony Prescott, 2-3-1 (1), of Cherry Hill, NJ, over 4 rounds on all score cards by 39-37. In the opening round Prescott was all over Sosa. In the 2nd round it was a complete turn around as Sosa had Prescott holding on. Sosa took the last 3 rounds. Referee was Smoger.

“Ukranian Lion” Levgen Klytrov, 2-0 (2), of NY, stopped Rommon Barber, 4-7-1 (3), St. Louis, MO, at 0:42 of the 3rd round when a left hook had Barber out on his feet. Referee Clark wisely stopped the bout. In the 2nd round a straight right hand dropped Barber who barely beat the count.

In the opening bout featherweight Robert Irizarry, 1-0-1 (0), of Camden, NJ, defeated southpaw Arthur Parker, 1-10-1 (1), of Lancaster, PA, with a vicious body attack as all 3 judges, Benoist, Braslow and LaRosa had it 39-37 as did DHB. Referee was Steve “Double SS” Smoger. Larry Tornambe did the ring announcing.

Ken Hissner responds to all his emails at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2014