Derrick Webster and Nelson Acevedo Win in Philly
---Doghouse Boxing
Doghouse Boxing's Homepage Visit The Dog Pound - Message Board Doghouse Boxing Interviews icheehuahua's Boxing News Wire Archives Contact and Advertise on Doghouse Boxing Information page
Derrick Webster and Nelson Acevedo Win in Philly
By Ken Hissner and Dave Ruff at ringside for Doghouse Boxing (June 2, 2014)

Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster
Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster
Cool Boxing promoted an abbreviated show Friday night at the PA Metal Sheet Workers Hall, in Philadelphia, PA. Co-Promoters are Ricardo Caraballo and Manny Rivera along with matchmaker Will Ruiz are Cool Boxing. The show had 2 cancelled bouts including the main event at fight time to the disappointment of the fans. The promotion said “negotiations broke down with both Ennis and Wise”. (4 rounder cancelled). Commissioner Rudy Battle said “They (Ennis) didn’t honor their contract.”

Philly middleweight Derek “Pooh” Ennis, 24-4-1 (13) and Cuban southpaw Lester “El Cubanito” Gonzalez, 12-13-4 (6), of San Diego, CA, was to be the scheduled 6 round main event.

In the main event replacement bout super middleweight southpaw Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster, 17-0 (8), of Glassboro, NJ, easily defeated Nigerian Michael Gbenga, 19-14 (19), out of Ghana in a lack luster 6 rounds. In the first 3 rounds Webster’s jab controlled the fight. In the 4th a left hand by Webster rocked Gbenga to the jaw. A right hand from Gbenga spun Webster around but was able to re-coup.

In the 5th round Webster seemed to be loading up while making Gbenga miss in a round of few punches thrown. In the 6th and final round Webster came out landing a good left uppercut to the chin of Gbenga but little happened after that with Gbenga doing too much clinching.

Judges Vargas and Braslow had it 59-55 while Rubenstein had it 58-56 and DHB scored it 60-54. The referee was McCall.

Bantamweight Nelson Acevedo, 2-0 (2), of Philly impressively stopped Jose Garcia, 0-2 (0), of PR, who didn’t come out for the second round.

Acevedo came out with lightning combinations and just as Garcia landed a few punches Acevedo let loose with a combination that drove Garcia’s head into and partly through the ropes. Before referee Clark could rule a knockdown Acevedo dropped Garcia. Acevedo jumped all over Garcia right to the bell.

Garcia’s corner called a halt at the end of the round. Acevedo had stole the show in his January debut and again tonight. “I grew up in the church and thank my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ. I thought he was coming out after the round,” said Acevedo. This young man is the real deal!

Light welter Saud “Grady” Clark, 3-1-1 (2), of Philly won a close fight over southpaw William Lorenzo, 3-17 (7), of PR, over 4 rounds.

In the opening round it was all Clark with Lorenzo coming forward but posing with little offense. In Clark’s corner was trainer Angel Garcia. In the 2nd round a straight left to the chin dropped Clark on the seat of his pants but referee McCall called it a slip. He warned Clark for holding behind the head and punching after the third time doing it.

In the 3rd round Lorenzo landed a good left uppercut to the chin of Clark who had been busier up until then. Again referee McCall warned Clark for holding behind the head and when Clark looked at him Lorenzo hit Clark in the face. In the 4th and final round Clark landed a solid right to the head. Lorenzo had a welt on the outside of his left eye. Vargas had it 40-36, Braslow, Rubenstein and DHB had it 39-37.

Light middleweight Gilbert Alex Sanchez, 3-4 (2), of Camden, NJ, won a 4 round decision over Guatemala’s Juan Aguirre, 6-12-1(0), out of Jacksonville, FL In the opening round Sanchez came out firing punches. Aguirre had a welt under his right eye on his cheek bone from a solid overhand right by Sanchez before the end of the round. In the 2nd round Sanchez was all over Aguirre and ran into a right hand to the chin. Seconds later he landed a solid right of his on the chin. Sanchez landed a vicious right hand to the head with Aguirre against the ropes.

In the 3rd Sanchez landed a hard left hook to the midsection putting Aguirre into the ropes. Sanchez started boxing on the retreat in the last minute using a very effective jab. He landed a 3-punch combo just prior to the bell. In the 4th and final round Aguirre had his best round knowing he was behind and from out of town he landed several rights to the back pedaling Sanchez. Clark was the referee.

Judges Vargas and Braswell had it 40-36 while Rubenstein was 40-35. DHB had it 39-37.

In the opening bout between Philly heavyweights Imani Bell, 2-0 (1), won a 4 round split decision over Ashwin Trail, 0-1 (0). Bell played football at Penn State and hadn’t fought in almost 4 years while Trail was making his debut.

In the opening round referee McCall had to separate the fighters quite a few times. Bell suffered a bloody nose from a right hand. In the 2nd round it was Trail with a bloody nose from a solid jab by Bell. In the 3rd referee McCall warned Trail 4 times for low blows.

In the 4th and final round Trail seemed to tire and was warned for holding as Bell finally got his jab working. Braslow had it 39-37 Trail while Vargas had it 39-37 and Rubenstein 40-36 for Bell. DHB had it 39-37 for Trail.

Super featherweight Pedro Andres, 1-3 (1), of Bridgeton, NJ, won by TKO at 1:29 of the second round over Ramir Hilliard, 0-1 (0), of Philly when referee Clark called a halt.

Hillard came out smoking with left hooks to the body of Andres until a second low blow dropped Andres. After a short rest they continued with a warning to Hilliard. “Cornbread” Raimey worked the corner of Hillard. In the 2nd round an overhand right rocked Hilliard. He drove Hillard across the ring into the ropes. Hillard managed to hold on but again was rocked into the ropes due to having his head up causing referee Clark to stop it possibly too soon for the fans.

New ring announcer Alex Barbosa a Temple grad and former boxer did a fine job in his professional debut. It was the promoter’s third show in 2014. GF Live covered the show via telecast with George Hanson and Harry Yorgey commentating at ringside. This was the first time this year the commission allowed the press to sit as this close to the ring in the first row (no table).

Ken Hissner responds to all his emails at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2014