Santana, Douglas and Hernandez-Harrison score KO’s at Dover Downs - Friday Ringside Boxing Results
Doghouse Boxing
Doghouse Boxing's Home Page On The Ropes Radio - Home Page Dog Pound Message Boards Boxing Interviews Today's Boxing Press Archives by Chee Team Contact & Advertising Info
Santana, Douglas and Hernandez-Harrison score KO’s at Dover Downs - Friday Ringside Boxing Results
By Ken Hissner and David Ruff at ringside for Doghouse Boxing (Nov 23, 2013)

Dusty Hernandez-Harrison
Dusty Hernandez-Harrison
Photo ©
New York’s Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana, 29-4 (20), scored a first round knockout over veteran Michael “Cold Blood” Clark, 44-9-1 (18), of Columbus, OH, at 2:27 of the first round for the vacant NABA light welterweight title at the Dover Downs Hotel & Casino in Dover, DE, Friday night!

In the first round Clark landed a left hook to the head of Santana who countered with a solid right hand to the head of Clark dropping him in a neutral corner as referee Vic deWysocki counted him out as Clark was struggling to get to his feet.

“2014 will be my year. My whole team deserves credit,” said Santana. His promoter Dave Escalet and his son, along with manager Brian Cohen joined Santana in celebration in the ring.

Omar “Super O” Douglas, 11-0 (9), of Wilmington, DE, won the vacant NABA USA super featherweight title when the corner of Colombian Jean “Evangelista” Sotelo, 18-12-2 (9), of Miami, FL, threw in the towel at 2:33 of the third round.

Sotelo came out southpaw and landed a good left to the head of Douglas. Douglas stalked Sotelo landing 4 left hooks to the body. Sotelo received a warning from referee Johnson for holding. In the second Douglas dropped Sotelo with a vicious body to the head attack drawing blood from the nose of Sotelo.

Douglas continued his assault before the corner called a halt to referee Bill Johnson to stop the fight. “I’m from here and tonight I proved I am a champion. He had a nice chin,” said Douglas. His trainer Dougie Pettiford has done a fine job with Douglas.

Newly crowned WBC Youth welterweight champ Dusty Hernandez-Harrison, 19-0 (11), of Southeast Washington, DC, scored 3 knockdowns to stop previously unstopped Marlon “ML” Lewis, 6-3-2 (3), of Memphis, TN, at 2:30 of the first round!

A vicious left hook to the side of Lewis dropped him to a knee. Upon rising Hernandez Harrison was all over him landing a combination dropping him a second time. Up again only to be met with a barrage of punches down went Lewis for the third time as referee Vic deWysocki waved it off at 2:20 of the first round!

“It was good stopping someone who hadn’t been stopped before,” said Hernandez-Harrison. He received a loud reception from the crowd prior to and after the fight. Seems the Dover Downs crowd has adopted Hernandez-Harrison and his father/trainer Buddy Harrison. It was his eighth fight of the year.

Light heavyweight “Mighty” Mike Tiberi, 21-1 (7), of Smyrna, DE, returned to the ring after over a year away to extend his winning streak to 15 over Edgar Perez Villanueva, 5-7 (3), of Arecibo, PR, over 6 rounds.

Tiberi used an effective jab through the first 2 rounds. He opened up in the third with 3 left hooks to the body of Villanueva. Tiberi used a steady assault mostly out boxing his shorter opponent. When he opened up Villanueva covered up.

All 3 judges had it 60-54 for Tiberi. Referee was Bill Johnson.

In the opening bout Super middleweight John “Church Boy” Bowman, 7-0-1 (1), Dover, DE, won all 4 rounds over Jess “Thunder” Noriega, 2-8 (2), Lynchburg, VA.

Bowman came out aggressive taking it to Noriega whose wide punches made him an easy target for any counters. The second round was competitive. Bowman rocked Noriega just before the bell ending the third with a right to the jaw. In the fourth and final round Noriega became the aggressor knowing he was well behind. He was bleeding from the nose and right eye swollen. He’s walking into Bowman’s punches in bunches but showing a lot of heart. Bowman seems to easily have won all 4 rounds.

All 3 judges had it 40-36 for Bowman. Referee was Bill Johnson.

Cruiserweight Alex Guerrero, 9-0-1 (5), of Delmar, MD, southpaw Galen “Bad Boy” Brown, 41-23-1 (24), of St. Joseph’s, MO.

Guerrero seemed to take the first 2 rounds by the smallest of margins. Brown landed more than his share of punches. Guerrero’s corner is yelling for him to throw more power punches. The third and fourth rounds were very competitive with Brown possibly landing more.

In the fifth a clash of heads caused a bad cut on the right eyebrow of Guerrero. It seemed to spur Guerrero on. The round was a toss up. In the sixth and final round Guerrero came out looking for a knockout but Brown was ready for him landing a straight left to the chin. Halfway through the round Guerrero landed a hard lead left to the chin of Brown. Referee was Vic deWysocki.

The judges had it 60-54, 58-56 and 59-55 all for Guerrero. DHB had it 58-56 for Brown. Referee was Vic deWysocki.

At intermission Dover Downs CEO Ed Sutor presented former world title challenger Mike “No Joke” Stewart with a pair of “lifetime ringside tickets” and the first induction to the newly formed DE Boxing Hall of Fame.

Ring announcer Larry Tornambe then introduced 2 world female champions, Melissa St. Vil and Ronica “Queen” Jeffrey with hope they will be at Dover Downs in the near future. Jeffrey has been one of the ring favorites in her many appearances at the Hotel & Casino. He also introduced unbeaten heavyweight and DE favorite Amir “Hardcore” Mansour who was at ringside doing the broadcast for GFL TV.

At ringside fellow DHB writer Dave Ruff looked on. It shouldn’t be long before boxer, manager and trainer Ruff will be inducted to the DE Hall of fame. He has been working with youth at the Fraims B&G Club since 1992 in Wilmington.

In the final bout of the night Travis “Severe” Reeves, 3-2 (1), of Baltimore, MD, upset Dover’s own Lamont “Problem Solver” Singletary, 6-1 (3), at 1:33 of the first round. He had Singletary on the ropes when referee Bill Johnson suddenly waved it off. The fans deservingly loudly let the referee know of their displeasure. Singletary looked bewildered the fight was stopped.

Per Lisa Rollins of Dover Downs “the next show may be in February”. It was a good crowd as usual at Dover Downs.

Ken Hissner responds to all his emails at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2013