Serrano, Taylor and Majewski Win in South Philly Friday
By Ken Hissner at ringside, Doghouse Boxing (April 5, 2011) Doghouse Boxing
KEA Boxing returned to Philadelphia Friday night for “Unfinished Business” at the Asylum Arena with Ray “Tito” Serrano, Andres “Tailor-Made” Taylor and Pat Majewski all winning! Though April Fools Day none of the “opponents” pulled off any surprises in any of the 8 fights.    

Serrano, 15-0 (8), of North Philadelphia, scored 3 knockdowns in stopping Corey Alarcon, 14-17 (4), of Denver, CO, at 0:44 of the fifth round of a scheduled 6.  Commissioner Rudy Battles, a former referee, went to the corner of Alarcon after the fourth round checking if he was able to continue.  Shortly into the fifth round he waved a stop to referee Blair Thomas to stop the lopsided fight.

Serrano was too strong for the gutsy Alarcon.  As early as the first round Serrano was going for the knockout as his many fans were chanting his name.  A left hook to the mid-section dropped Alarcon.  Then Serrano landed several borderline punches before the round was over.  He would switch to southpaw at times and seem very effective.

In the second round Serrano used a good strong jab to bloody the nose of Alarcon that flowed right until the end.  He had no quit in him.  In the third after the third questionable low blow Thomas finally gave Alarcon a 5 minute rest.  In the fourth round Serrano landed a very good 4 punch combination. 

In the final round a left hook dropped Alarcon.  When a right hand dropped him again the commissioner had seen enough as did the audience.  “I felt good and he took a really good shot,” said Serrano.  He is hoping to get back into the ring in May.  “I only had 13 amateur fights and am really hurting from the body shots,” said Alarcon.  Both fighters came in at 147, the highest of Alarcon’s career.    

Taylor, 17-1-2 (7), of Johnstown, PA, was given a “nightmare” for an opponent in Rayshawn Myers, 3-7 (2), of Cleveland, OH, over 4 rounds in a cruiserweight bout.  Myers clowned throughout the match. 

Taylor came out in his usual “Tyson like” manner but seemed confused by the antics of Myers who claims to be related to Ali. When he did the “Ali Shuffle” Taylor watched instead of punched.  Limited, Myers at times would wind-up like a softball pitcher and throw a punch. 

In the first round Myers tried his “wind-up” punch at the same time Taylor threw a left hook that dropped Myers.  He acknowledged it was a good punch. In the second round there were about 5 borderline punches that the referee Shawn Clark didn’t give any warnings for.  The taller Myers, a southpaw, would use his reach switching to orthodox at times.  He never failed to amuse the crowd.

In the third round though clowning Myers seemed to outland Taylor to take the round.  In the fourth and final round another 3 low blows went without warning.  Taylor had his share of fans that made the long ride and were looking for a knockout.  Lynne Carter had it 38-37 while judges Alan Rubenstein and Pierre Benoist 40-36 all for Myers.  Taylor needs to learn how to cut the ring off.

Majewski, 16-0 (11), of Atlantic City, NJ,  never broke a sweat as a left hook dropped Allen Medina, 8-19 (1), of Denver, CO, and though he beat the count he was in no condition to fight referee Thomas waved it off at 1:14 of the first.

The night started off with a bang even if it was a short one, as Javier Ramos, 2-6 (0), of Mayaquez, PR, countered a right landed by Poland’s Kamil Laszcyk, 3-0 (3), of Norther Begen, NJ, in scoring a knockdown.  Laszcyk came back to land a left hook to the body scoring a knockdown with referee Clark ending it at 1:48 of the first round.  This super featherweight match was scheduled for 4.

In possibly the best fight of the night and heavyweights at that, John Mercurio, 4-0 (3), of Philadelphia, asked for and got his friend Jamie Campbell’s conqueror in

 Will Miranda, 2-3 (0), of Allentown, PA, in a 4 rounder. 

Mercurio the much taller and heavier of the two used a powerful jab and right hook to the body to show Miranda early it was going to be a different fight with him.  An overhand right off of a jab rocked Miranda in the first. 

Both areas around Miranda’s eyes had abrasions. In the second Miranda would get inside and do damage of his own with a short left hook and seemed to take the round.  In the third Miranda landed a good left hook but Mercurio landed 2 rights to bloody the nose of Miranda.  In the fourth with his right eye almost closed Miranda tried to land the big punch but couldn’t seem to get the best of a tiring Mercurio.  

The scores were 39-37 twice as was this writers and a 40-35 all for the winner Mercurio.  Considering none of his previous 3 fights lasted 2 rounds it was a good showing on the part of Mercurio that he needed.  Miranda was always in the fight and rarely takes a back step.  Clark was the referee.

Former National amateur champion Keenan “Killa” Smith, of Philadelphia, 4-0 (1), started slow but showed his skills as he came on to take the last 3 rounds over debuting Joshua Nieves, 0-1 (0), of the Bronx, NY, in a lightweight 4. All 3 officials gave it to Smith by 40-36 and 39-37 twice.  Thomas was the referee.

In a battle of southpaws Juan Rodriguez, 68-0 (3), of Union City, NJ, and Andrew Jones, 0-5-1 (0), of Buffalo, NY, clashed heads just before the end of the first round.  Rodriguez who had controlled the round had a nasty gash between his right eye brow and nose. 

Rodriguez landed many punches and must have wondered what was holding him up.  Just before the bell ending the third Jones landed a good right hook that stunned Rodriguez.  In the fourth Rodriguez went on the defense moving around the ring for the first time in the fight.  Jones could never take advantage of the cut as Rodriguez landed a pair of straight lefts to easily win the fight on all score cards 40-36.  Clark was the referee.

Welterweight Ardrick “Hit Man” Butler, 6-4 (3) ended a 3 fight losing streak by easily out boxing Mike “Strictly Business” Denby, 3-9-3 (2), of Felton, DE, in the first and drove him into the ropes with a straight right in a scheduled 6.

In the second Butler hurt Denby and came in to follow up and hit Butler with a right.  Butler landed a right of his own that hurt Denby who grabbed Butler and tackled him to the canvas.  Butler seemed hurt while laying there from his head hitting hard.  In the third Butler landed a good left hook while stepping on the foot of Denby who went down.  Referee Thomas gave him a count. 

In the fifth Denby landed a hard right rocking Butler who in trying to avoid it may have tripped but it was ruled a knockdown.  In the sixth Butler rocked Denby who fell into him and was spun head first into the ropes.  Without looking the referee pushed Denby back and he went to the canvas.  This was ruled a knockdown.  The referee ruled the fight stopped at 0:46 of the sixth in favor of Butler.

To his credit Denby was always in there trying though it wasn’t his nigh against Butler with new trainer Bud Harris having him box more to his advantage.  Butler a former professional basketball player seems to be back on the right track.

Andre Kut may be coming back in June for another promotion.  His matchmaker was Renee Aiken who replaced the seriously ill Chuck Bailey who our prayers go out to.

NEW: Follow Doghouse Boxing on FaceBook!
For more Boxing News 24/7 and so much more... 
visit our homepage now!

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2011