Kamarah “Black Majic” Pasley stops Chuck Berry in Atlantic City!
By Ken Hissner at ringside for DoghouseBoxing (April 14, 2009)  
To the disappointment of all the “Brawl in the Hall” was not to be Saturday night in Atlantic City! Instead the fans were treated to an undercard of 7 fights of prospects and pretenders at the Boardwalk Hall Ballroom by Dee Lee Promotions and GNP Boxing.

Scheduled was the vacant USBA light middleweight title bout between Derek “Pooh” Ennis, 17-2-1 (12), of the Germantown section of Philly and Ishmail Arvin, 15-1-4 (7), of Baltimore that had all the
markings of one heck of a fight. Unfortunately Ennis came in 4 pounds over the 154 limit Friday night at the weigh-in. Ennis would be given time to take the weight off. Upon returning to the scales he was still 2 pounds over. “I took him to the steam room and when he came out he had gained a ½ pound because his body took in the water per the athletic physician. He was near dehydration and they wanted us to return at noon Saturday. We agreed to come back in the morning at 8am when both fighters re-weighed,” said Moz Gonzalez, co-manger of Ennis. Ennis was at 163 ½ and Arvin at 161. “Arvin was offered a substantial amount of money to fight,” added Gonzalez. “Give me my money and let me go home,” said Arvin. “I ain’t fighting no slouch here. He can fight and punch,” he added. “I felt bad for the promoter (Diane Fischer) and very disappointed overall,” said Gonzalez. His co-manger Eddie Woods shared his feelings.

This writer was surprised he even took the match after defeating an Ennis stable mate Anthony “The Messenger” Thompson last August in DC by controversial stoppage. I watched Ennis work out the Thursday before the fight at the Muhammad Ali gym in Germantown. He looked to be in great shape. His father and trainer Derrick “Bozy” Ennis seemed pleased with his condition as all were that night.

Back to the show, cruiserweight Kamarah “Black Majic”, 4-3 (2), won his 4th straight stopping fellow Philly opponent Chuck Berry, 4-9 (3), when referee Lindsay Page called a halt at 1:28 of the 6th and final round. Berry had been cut on the left eye brow in the 4th round and was being battered at the time of stoppage being well behind on the scorecards.

The rest of the card were all 4 round bouts starting with the opening bout between Luquan Lewis, 0-1, 1nc of Wyandanch, New York losing a majority decision to Jayme Resnick, 1-1, of Rochester in a lightweight match. Judges scores were 39-37 (2x) and 38-38. This writer also had it even and thought it to be the most competitive bout on the card.

Atlantic City’s Lavarn “Baby Bowe” Harvell, 3-0, used an effective jab followed by a straight right hand in shutting out Michael Todd, 0-1, of Buckroe Beach, Virginia in a light heavyweight bout with all scores 40-36. Harvell is a prospect.

Eugene Soto, 1-0, was very impressive in scoring a shutout over Vernon Richardson, 0-1, of Rocky Mountain, North Carolina in a middleweight match. He carries some power in both hands and had quite a few fans cheering him on before and afterwards.

Eluid Torres, 2-0 (1) of Allentown, Pennsylvania looked awkward at times by easily handling Sidell Blocker, 0-1, of nearby Pleasantville over the first 3 rounds. Torres would start in a southpaw stance with a jab and straight left and do the opposite from an orthodox stance landing 4 punches at a time. Blocker had no answer for this. In the 4th and final round of this lightweight match a clash of heads opened up cuts on both fighters causing the bout to be stopped by both ring physicians. All scorecards read 30-27 in favor of Torres. Earl Brown was the referee.

Bryne “Worthy” Green, 5-1 (2), of Vineland stopped Edward Valdez, 3-7-2 (2) after a lead right rocked Valdez and then followed with a combination that dropped his opponent. Then a right and left combination caused the referee Alan Huggins to stop the bout at 1:39 of the 1st round. The Valdez corner was not happy with the stoppage. Green was impressive.

Southpaw Marcus “The Beast” Hall, 2-0 (1), of Rochester completely outclassed Will “The Man” Porter, 0-1, of Atlantic City stopping his opponent in 2:46 of the 2nd round. A straight left followed by a right hook put Porter out cold in his own corner for a good 10 minutes before being carried out on a stretcher. Porter never had a chance in this one.

Sonny Mistretta was the matchmaker. During the intermission Fischer brought former IBF light middleweight champion Luis “Yori Boy” Campas, into the ring who is 95-13 (76), per his manager Joe Diaz of the Top Level Boxing Gym in Phoenix, Arizona. It was announced to the crowd by classy ring announcer Nino Del Buono that on May 9th at the Taj Mahal Campas will meet the former WBC super featherweight, lightweight and WBO light welterweight champion along with other numerous titles, Hector “Macho” Camacho, 79-5-2 (38), who has never been stopped. This will be a major promotion by Dee Lee Promotions at the Atlantic City resort hotel. Per Diaz the governors of Puerto Rico and Mexico have a side bet on their fellow countrymen. Viva Puerto Rico and Mexico!

Ken at: kenhissner@yahoo.com

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing 1998-2009