Wilson Wins USBA Cruiser Title over Shieka in War
By Ken Hissner, Doghouse Boxing (April 25, 2011) Doghouse Boxing
Garret Wilson
Peltz Boxing brought back Omar Shieka, 30-11 (21), of Paterson, NJ, and Garrett “The Ultimate Warrior” Wilson, 10-5-1 (4), of Philadelphia, for the vacant USBA Cruiserweight title at the Palladium Ballroom in Caesars, Atlantic City, NJ, Saturday night.  They met in March of 2010 in Hamilton Twp., NJ, with Shieka coming back to stop Wilson.

This time it was a completely different story as Wilson put on a magnificent performance of boxing with quite a bit of a punch.  The scores of 119-108, and 118-109 twice were not a reflection on what kind of fight it was.  It went down to the wire in excitement with Shieka from early on after getting cut in the third round knew it would take another knockout to beat Wilson this time.

Shieka was was 10-0 in NJ of which 3 of those wins were in AC and like Wilson, very confident of victory going into this one.  After a feeling out first round Wilson would demonstrate a solid jab that would dictate the fight.  He and his trainer Rodney Rice had a plan and it was performed almost flawlessly throughout.   Wilson’s father said “I was praying every round for my son.”  Wilson a devout Christian doesn’t hold back in where he gets his inner strength.

 “I’ve been asking for this rematch since the last fight.  I won’t be making the same mistakes I did last time.  I plan to end his career.  This fight means a lot to me in getting this belt and the revenge from getting the TKO on my record.  I’ve been sparring with Steve Cunningham (IBF Champ), Yusaf Mack, Dhafir Smith and Rasheem Brown at Shulers Gym,” said Wilson.  That is what he said before the fight and he said it after the fight as well.  “Am I dreaming or am I the USBA Cruiser champ?  He was tough,” said Wilson.  Wilson winning the USBA title should put him into the IBF ratings that Cunningham heads. 

Promoter Peltz must have been thinking after this victory of who would be the first challenger.  A disputed draw for Wilson against Andre “Tailor-Made” Taylor from western PA who is No. 8 in the USBA ratings and transplanted No. 2 Ran Nakash from Israel who fights out of Philadelphia would have to come to mind.

“My biggest concern going into this fight was the Health of Shieka after the fight,” said Rice.  Shieka’s plans after a victory were to go back down to 175.  Both fighters made the 185 contract limit.  By the fifth Shieka’s face was pretty well busted up while his corner did a good job in containing the cut outside the left eye since the third round. 

In the seventh after a second warning referee Brian O’Melia took away a point from Shieka deservingly.  It seemed on purpose and to slow down the back pedaling Wilson who lashed out more than Shieka landing solid shots to the head.  It was until around the eighth round Wilson started to go to the open body of Shieka.

In the eighth seven straight punched without return landed by Wilson.  In the tenth he had Shieka out on his feet.  Near the end of the round it was Shieka landing several right hands that hurt Wilson who stumbled to his corner and started jumping up and down with arms over head as if the fight was over.  The eleventh was close and with Shieka needing a knockout in the twelfth it was Wilson who was going for the knockout and came close to it at the bell. 

Wilson did not go unmarked as his left ear looked like he just came out of an MMA match.  Both fighters would pay a visit to the hospital after the fight.  O’Melia did an excellent job as the referee and the judges were all in line with one another.

The Semi-8 light welterweight bout was good while it lasted as Ronald Cruz, 12-0 (98), of Bethlehem, PA. continue’s to impress.   After losing the second round he was blasting Manuel Guzman, 7-11-2 (3), of Lancaster, PA, all over the ring to both the body and head.     

Guzman had been never been stopped including a losing effort over 8 rounds to Olympian Sadam Ali, in December.   Though he claimed a left hand injury, it was more of what Cruz was doing to him that caused his corner to stop it after three rounds.  “He does whatever is asked of him,” said Jimmy Deoria.  The former lightweight contender manages Cruz.  Though ranked No. 12 in the USBA light welterweight ratings it looks like Cruz may be moving up to welterweight after this performance.

Cruz is 6-0 in Atlantic City and has scored knockouts in his last 5 fights.  His last 3 were considered mild upsets stopping Juan Ramon Cruz, 16-8-1, Jeremy “Bryan, 14-1 and Dillet Frederick, 7-3-3. He also has a knockout win over Norman Allen, 6-1.  Cruz camp is hoping for the Casino in Bethlehem to start running fights where Cruz would be a major draw.

In a 6 round heavyweight match a pair of Philadelphians in Bryant Jennings, 7-0 (4) knew when he landed his first punch it was going to be a short night for David Williams, 6-4-1 (2).  Fred Jenkins has a diamond in the rough here.  He developed heavyweight Malik Scott and now has a completely different fighter in Jennings who can punch but lacks amateur experience.  He should continue to be brought along the way Peltz has matched him.

Southpaw Derrick “Take it to the Bank” Webster, 7-0 (5), of Glassboro, had an easy night scoring a pair of knockdowns, the second with a jab, dropping Philadelphia’s Jose Medina, 15-21 (11) in 2:28 of the first round in a 6 round super middleweight match.  As he landed the knockout blow the Medina corner were throwing in the towel.  Referee David Franciosis was still counting when the ringside physician was entering the ring.  This could be the end of the line for Medina.

Dontre King, 4-9-2, (2) of Cambridge, MD, scored a need win stopping Philly’s Keane Davis, 1-2 (0), at 1:29 of the third round in a 4 round welterweight match. 

Veteran long time trainer from Philly George James brought in his young light welterweight Korey Sloane, 1-0 (0), who scored a knockdown and defeated Vineland, NJ, Edgardo Torres, 1-1 (1), who was quite surprised not only of the boxing ability of Sloane but the power in both hands.   Sloane won on all score cards.

In a sloppy show opener, middleweight Antowyan Aikens, 1-0 (1), of Atlantic City stopped southpaw Willie Mack, 0-1 (0), of Trenton in the fourth round at 2:52.  This was the debut for both while referee Earl Brown counted Aikens out.

NEW: Follow Doghouse Boxing on FaceBook!
For more Boxing News 24/7 and so much more... 
visit our homepage now!

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing Inc. 1998-2011