Bayonne’s Bobby Rooney Beats Brewer at Schuetzen Park!
By Ken Hissner, Doghouse Boxing (Aug 30, 2009) Photo © Tom Casino/Duva Boxing    
John Lynch’s Pound for Pound Promotions ran into a snag at the weigh-in when Colombian Ilido Julio came in at 134 to “Mighty” Mike Arnaoutis 143 (contracted weight) Wednesday night. The New Jersey commissioner Aaron Davis said the weight difference was too much. Since the show must go on and with a packed house at North Bergen, New Jersey, in Schuetzen Park, Thursday night, the under card went on.

Bayonne’s Bobby Rooney, 11-2-1 (6), dedicated the fight to his brother Sean, who passed away in July at the age of 28. Rooney won every round in defeating Toris “Bull” Brewer, 14-4 (6), of North Charleston, SC in a light heavyweight 8. “He was tough and I just couldn’t put him away,” said Rooney. In the 6th round Rooney landed a right to the head and a left hook to the mid section dropping Brewer. He got up and was able to survive the rest of the way in this 8 rounder. “He was just too tall,” said Brewer. All three judges had it 80-71 as did this writer in favor of the local favorite Rooney. The referee was Lindsey Page.

The fans were treated to five more fights put together by matchmaker Nick Tiberi highlighted by a four round draw between two New Jersey middleweights, Chris Murphy, 3-0-1 (3) of Sparta and Abraham Torres, 1-3-2 (1) of Union City. No one was slipping a punch in this one from the opening bell. Murphy came out looking for his fourth straight knockout win and was met by Torres straight right hands. Murphy’s best weapon, his left hoo, was rocking Torres but he was going nowhere. Torres had an abrasion under his left eye and with fans screaming for both fighters the underdog was delivering right hands to the head of a bewildered Murphy. Torres seemed to narrowly take the first two rounds. In the 3rd round Murphy outworked Torres who seemed to be slowing down. In the 4th and final round Murphy came out looking to finish Torres winning the first half of the round before Torres got his second wind and started battering Murphy. The first score was 39-37 by Eugene Grant for Torres. The other two judges, John Poturaj and Lawrence Layton had it 38-38, a majority draw. This writer had it 39-38 Torres. The referee was David Franciosi. Ring announcer Henry Hascup asked the fans if they wanted to see a rematch and they started cheering some more. Hascup, who is Ring 25 President, gave a great tribute to Arturo Gatti later in the night.

In a 6 round opening bout in the lightweight division Chris Green, 3-1 (1), of Asbury Park, got back on track after suffering a defeat in his last fight and won every round over tough Luquan Lewis, 0-4 (0), of Wyandanch, NY, in a 6. All judges had it 60-53. In the 2nd round Lewis suffered puffiness around the left eye. A short left dropped him in the 3rd round. The referee was Franciosi.

Jason Escalera, 7-0 (6), Jersey City, defeated Andre Espeut, 2-1 (1), in a super middleweight 4. Escalera went the distance for the first time. He landed combinations that had Espeut, bending his knees trying to avoid some but not enough. Escalera simply outworked his opponent. The judges had it 40-36 (twice) and 39-37 for Escalera. Franciosi was the referee.

In a cruiserweight 4, Patrick Farrell, 4-0 (3), Jersey City, stopped Dustin Schnakeberg, 2-2 (2), of Independence, MO., in 2:18 of the 2nd round. Farrell hurt his opponent early with a right hand and then dropped him with a left hook in the 1st round. In the 2nd round Farrell landed a left hook to the body and a right to the head dropping his opponent. Upon beating the count Farrell moved in and landed another combination dropping him for the second time in the round. At that time the referee Lindsey Page should have put a stop to this one sided fight. He let it continue until Farrell landed a left and right dropping his opponent on his back and stopping the fight.

Three time New York Golden Gloves champ Steve Martinez, 1-0 (1), of the Bronx, made short work of Keith Collins, 2-3 (1), in a light middleweight 4. Collins was game but completely outclassed as he was dropped with a combination. Upon rising, Martinez was on the attack landing at will with his opponent against the ropes when the referee Page came to the rescue at 2:15 of the 1st round.

Ken at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing 1998-2009