Star Boxing Report: Shamone Alvarez Wins Majority Decision Over Terrance Cauthen
By Ken Hissner at ringside for DoghouseBoxing (Nov 10, 2008)  
Star Boxing returned to Bally’s in Atlantic City Friday night with a packed house being treated to a very entertaining match between New Jersey’s two finest welterweights! Atlantic City’s Shamone “Truth” Alvarez, 20-1 (11), chased Trenton’s Terrance “Heat” Cauthen, 33-5 (9), throughout the 10 rounder to capture a majority decision between these two southpaws. Alvarez is co-promoted by Joe DeGuardia of Star Boxing and Warriors Boxing. Alvarez is one of the nicest personalities in the business.

Cauthen, the former 1996 Olympic lightweight bronze medal winner who in 2007 was in the thick of things fighting in a IBF light middleweight eliminator only to return in July to the welterweight division with a win over previously unbeaten Alexis Camacho. Cauthen is a counter puncher who had Alvarez chasing him down all night. Cauthen hardly landed a punch until about 10 seconds left in the 2nd round. “His right hand was more of a slap than a hard punch,” said the winner, Alvarez. In the 4th round, a straight left, followed by a right dropped Cauthen. Referee Ricky Vera administered the 8 count while Cauthen was getting his head cleared. It was the closest thing to a knockout in the fight. “You would throw 3 or 4 punches stopping him in his tracks, but failed to follow up,” said Cauthen’s two cornermen after the fight. Cauthen would dispute them by saying, “I outboxed him all night.” Usually that means a boxer used his jab, but it was absent from Cauthen’s arsenal. The fans did not receive the majority call very well nor did this writer. Judges Rashada and Barnes had it 98-90 with judge Whitaker who must have had his mind on the round card girls calling it 94-94. It could have been a shut out and I would not have been surprised while most fellow writers at ringside had it 96-92 for Alvarez. This was without a doubt the fight of the night and worthy of a rematch.

In what could have been called a walk on bout instead of the co-main event, the #5 rated WBA heavyweight Kevin “Kingpin” Johnson, 21-0-1 (8), was given a 238 pound “pinquata” to hit from the start in the name of Matthew Greer, 12-4 (11), from St. Louis, until the towel was finally thrown in by Greer’s corner at 2:26 of the 3rd round. Referee David Fields should have stopped this one. Johnson was faced with an obviously overmatched opponent before the bell started. I have to give Greer an “A” for gut’s with blood streaming out of his nose and onto his blood-splattered face and upper body looking like he walked into a fan. Somehow he was as able to get through the 1st round and back to his corner. It looked like they were trying to convince him to quit but he kept shaking his head “no”. In the 2nd round it was more of the same as Johnson who has one of the best jabs in the heavyweight division started landing wicked body shots causing Greer to wince in pain but refused to go down. Johnson, who has been calling out the top heavyweights, needs to step up and meet some of the trial horses in the meantime. Dominic Guinn and Jameel McCline could be two for starters.

Earlier, former WBA heavyweight champion Bruce “Atlantic City Express” Seldon, 39-7 (35) stopped cruiserweight Brad Gregory, 11-2 (9), of Wichita, Kansas in 2:01 of the 2nd round. Seldon dropped Gregory with a left hook in the 1st round causing Gregory to get on his bike. A combination of punches to the body and a left hook dropped Gregory again in the 2nd round in his own corner. Upon getting to his feet he turned his head away from the referee causing the stoppage. Seldon had been stopped by Johnson in his most recent match and was using this as a warm-up fight for his November 29th fight with former WBO champion Lamon Brewster. Seldon always displays a workmanlike manner as he wore down Gregoory forcing referee David Fields to call a halt to this one. Seldon is still very popular in Atlantic City.

19 year old Philly prospect, Ray “Tito” Serrano, 8-0 (5), was faced with his toughest opponent to date in journeyman Shaka Moore, 10-13-3 (2), of Norwalk, CT. Serrano was able to punch Moore to a sitting position on the bottom strand to register a knockdown in the 2nd round. Moore switched to southpaw in spite of Serrano’s best weapon being his right hand. He was able to weather the storm and make a fight of it in the 6th and final round losing a decision on all scorecards by 60-53, 58-54 and 57-56. Serrano seemed to win all but one of the rounds on my scorecard. He has a real nice following.

Super middleweight Curtis “Showtime” Stevens, 19-2 (14), of Brooklyn, electrified the crowd dropping Ray Smith, 8-3 (2), of Little Rock for an 8 count. Upon getting up, Smith stumbled into the arms of referee Fields causing a stoppage at 0:48 of the 1st round.

Atlantic City light heavyweight Lavarn Harvell, 2-0 (1), won his 2nd match since debuting in February against a stubborn Joe Njau, 0-2, of Perth Amboy, who never stopped coming forward. Harvell just had too many weapons over the 4 rounds for Njau. The judges saw it 40-36 (twice) and 39-37.

The opening bout featured Alexis Mejias, 8-1 (3), of the Bronx, stopping Bernard Brown, 6-5-2 (3) of Baltimore in 0:49 of the 2nd round in a heavyweight 4. Referee was Fields.

In attendance were unbeaten boxers light middleweight Harry Yorgey, 21-0-1 (9), of Bridgeport, Pennsylvania and Chuckie “The Professor” Mussachio, 12-0-2 (5), of nearby Wildwood. will broadcast the match.

Ken at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing 1998-2008