Boxing Report: Joey Gilbert Scores KO and Tyrell Samuels Win Title
By Ken Hissner at ringside, DoghouseBoxing (Nov 25, 2008)  
Nevada based TKO BOXING Promotions and Ballroom Boxing came to Michaels Eighth Avenue, in Glen Burnie, Maryland, Thursday night featuring Reno’s Joey Gilbert’s, 17-1 (13) knockout over veteran William Johnson, 9-18-1 (3), of Sardis, MS, in the 2nd round at 1:18 before a packed house!

In a rematch, this time for Maryland’s state junior lightweight title, Baltimore’s Tyrell Samuel, 10-2 (5), overcame losing the first 5 rounds to D.C.’s Ron Boyd, 5-5 (3), to score 3 knockdowns in the second half of
this 10 round bout to pull out an exciting decision win!

Gilbert, of the Contender fame, scored his 2nd win in 3 weeks by dropping Johnson with his first punch, a lead right hand. He followed up with a combination they drove Johnson into the ropes causing an automatic count by referee Ken Chavalier. Gilbert jumped on Johnson landing a half a dozen punches before dropping Johnson for a 3rd time just prior to the bell coming to his rescue. In the 2nd round Johnson, fighting off the ropes got in his licks before Gilbert retaliated with numerous punches until Johnson dropped to the canvas for the last time. This was a keep busy super middleweight fight for Gilbert, who has a date with fellow Contender Jesse Brinkley, possibly around Valentines Day in 2009. “I felt great tonight continuing to shake off the rust in preparation for Brinkley,” said Gilbert. “I hope to have one more fight before that happens,” he added.

In a rematch of a September split decision win for Samuel, the southpaw Boyd used his height and reach to keep Samuel at bay for 3 rounds, while rocking his opponent in the 4th with a right hook. Though winning the 5th round it was evident Boyd was starting to slow down. In the 6th despite being much shorter, Samuel started landing a double jab getting Boyd’s attention. He continued to outwork Boyd in the 7th as the fans could sense Samuel’s turn around. In the 8th Samuel drove Boyd into the ropes, drawing blood from the nose of his opponent. Just prior to the bell, Samuel landed a right hand dropping the back peddling Boyd. In the 9th round an exhausted Boyd took a knee without being hit trying to get himself through the round. It was all Samuel at this point. In the 10th and final round, with his nose and mouth bleeding, Boyd again took a knee without being hit. Somehow with the timekeepers warning of 10 seconds, Boyd opened up and it was the best exchange of the night as the bell sounded. Though all 3 judges had Samuel comfortably ahead by scores of 96-91 and 97-90 twice, this writer had it much closer at 95-92. The 3 knockdowns proved to be the difference while each fighter took 5 rounds apiece. Former IBF light middleweight champion Vincent “the Ambassador” Pettway was in the corner of Samuel. “I knew it was a matter of time before he would slow down,” said Samuel. While Samuel was being checked out by the commission doctor, Boyd walked by the doorway, and Samuel called out, “hey Ron!” The two fighters embraced, only the way fighters do after trying to knock each other out! “The Lord, plays a big part in my winning,” said Samuel. Malik Waleed was the referee.

In a foul filled 6 round super middleweight fight between Mike “The Persecutor” Paschall, 18-1-1 (4), of nearby Pasadena and James Johnson, 23-28-3 (16), of Shreveport, LA, referee Gary Camponeschi seemed to be part of the act, as he took a point away from Johnson for fouling, while Paschall did whatever he wanted to Johnson without losing any. It was a mauling Paschall, who would jab the smaller Johnson, then grab him and move him into the ropes throughout the bout. Though Paschall reminded one of the wrestling “villain”, he had a large cheering section. What they had to cheer about this writer was not sure of, but all 3 judges had it 60-53 Paschall.

Near by Cleverly heavyweight, Dwayne “Big Ticket” McRay, 2-0 (2) easily stopped Gerald Chaney, 2-1 (2), of Pulaski, KY, at 2:00 of the 1st round, as referee John Gradowski put an end to it per instructions from the ring physician.

In the opener Jarell Jackson, 8-5-1 (4), of DC, stopped Landover’s Carlos Jones 5-14 (3), at 1:47 of the 3rd round as referee Gradowski started in to halt, but hesitated. Then, suddenly waved it off, as the 2 fighter’s seperated. Though clearly being beat to the punch, Jones had a reason to complain.

Matchmaker Chris Middendorf had some opponents falling out for various reasons, while scheduled fighters Terrance Crawford, 5-0 (3), of Omaha and Bastie Samir, 1-0 (1), of Ghana, were dropped from the card. These two are part of Chet Koerner’s TKO BOXING team of fighters. Both are outstanding prospects.

Ken at:

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing 1998-2008