Hernandez stops Jefferson for USBA title
By Ken Hissner at ringside (April 23, 2008) Doghouse Boxing  
Power Productions, Inc. in Association with Cintron Beverage Company put on a card Friday night at the National Guard Armory, in Northeast Philadelphia with three title bouts and two fighters leaving the building on a stretcher.

It was a wild night, and matchmaker Ty McNeil did his usual good job of pairing the fighters. In the main event previously unbeaten Philly’s Rashiem Jefferson 15-1-1 (6) was stopped in the 12th and final round by Mexico’s Jose Hernandez 11-6-1 (5) for the vacant USBA featherweight title with referee Eddie Cotton halting the bout.

Jefferson started out trying to manhandle Hernandez and by the third round realized he was not the stronger of the two. After five rounds Jefferson seemed to hold a slight edge with Hernandez bleeding from the forehead due to an accidental head butt. In the sixth while in a clinch near the ropes what seemed like a throw down by Hernandez was ruled a knockdown by Cotton. Near the end of the round Hernandez had Jefferson out on his feet and holding on. By the end of the ninth the knockdown seemed to be the only difference. The eleventh round in what seemed like a slip by Jefferson again was ruled a knockdown causing several cans of beer to be thrown into the ring at Cotton’s ruling. Security quickly put that to rest. It would not have been a bad idea for Jefferson not to come out for the twelfth. He looked completely spent. Hernandez left no doubt about the final knockdown when he put Jefferson down face first to end the fight at 1:49 of the twelfth. The judges had the bout 107-101, 106-102 and 105-102 for Hernandez at the time of stoppage. This writer had it 106-111 for Hernandez. Though Jefferson was able to walk out of the ring, he was put on a stretcher and taken to the hospital.

Just prior to this bout starting the fans had to wait for the return of the ambulance that took Ray Ruiz 6-10-3 (4) of Passaic, New Jersey to the hospital after Philly’s Tony Ferrante 3-0 (1) ended a foul filled two rounds with a combination putting Ruiz down and out at 2:52 of the second round. He left on a stretcher while walking to the ropes and rolling under the bottom strand onto a stretcher. It took Ruiz about 15 minutes to get to his feet after the knockout.

In what was billed as the Tri-State super middleweight Championship, Rasheem “The Untouchable” Brown 19-3 (16), almost bit off more then he hoped winning a lopsided 99-91 decision in the eyes of the three officials. Brown stepped up in weight to take on Jameel “Black Gold” Wilson 13-13-3 (8), both of Philly, and had his way for two rounds. In the third Wilson’s ankle went out on him. He was able to come back and keep the round close. In the fourth he had Brown out on his feet. In the fifth Brown came back to even have Wilson out on his feet in the sixth. Wilson’s body work kept him in the fight. Wilson came back to take the eighth and ninth and was making a fight of it in the tenth until Brown put his foot behind Wilson’s and flipped him while the referee Ron Aurit was not in a position to see what happened. He called it a slip while precious seconds were racing off the clock as an exhausted Brown lasted the tenth and final round. The heavy handed Brown and the never giving up Wilson gave the fans something to cheer about. Those at ringside had it a much closer fight.

“I knew I threw more punches than he did,” said Wilson. That he did, but not the power punches Brown landed. “He stung me three times,” said Brown. “I stepped up to 168 for the last time. He was coming down from 175,” added Brown.

In another 10 rounder Tyric “Too Sweet” Robinson 9-2-1 (3) won an interesting junior welterweight match for the USBA Regional Championship over fellow Philly fighter Lenny DiVictoria 11-11 (3). This was a match between two friends that started out with Robinson getting out to an early lead by outslicking DiVictoria. Robinson was winning the fifth when with about 15 seconds to go in the round DiVictoria rocked him and had him badly hurt at the bell. In the sixth instead of going to the body and then the head, DiVictoria went head hunting and was rocked by Robinson near the end of the round.

In the ninth with blood coming from both his nose and mouth DiVictoria was falling further behind. Noticeable was the fact that Robinson completely switched to a strong body attack winning the last 3 rounds and the decision by scores of 98-92, 97-93 and 96-94. DiVictoria knew he did not do enough to win and would like a rematch.

In a show opener the usual strong showing Jason Jordan 5-20-3 of Akron, Ohio was dropped three times in the first round by Philly’s southpaw Ray Robinson 8-0 (3). Jordan was able to get himself through the round and even lasted the four rounds though losing most per the judges by scores of 40-33 (twice) and 39-34. Note, this is the same Jordan who had won a four rounder from Robinson in January.

Power Productions will return to Cisco Arena, in Oaks, Pennsylvania on May 10th.

Ken at: kenhissner@yahoo.com

New Doghouse Boxing News RSS Feed Get News Updates on your Desk Top

© Copyright / All Rights reserved: Doghouse Boxing 1998-2008